Friday, December 14, 2007

Quick Introduction

I just want to leave somewhat of a quick introduction about myself, and how I was started in the aquarium "hobby".

When I was a fry, my mom and dad had a fifty-five gallon freshwater tropical aquarium. I remember two kissing gouramis, neon tetras, a common plecostomus, and a few other fish. I have had my own fish and own aquariums at various times throughout my life. Fast forward to November 2005, and I bought myself a one gallon fish bowl, all the stuff to put in it, and...wait for it...wait for it...I bought a small koi (you read that right)...a KOI.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

After the koi died, which was after I had it for only a few days, I bought a "beta". I learned a lot with this little guy. I learned about what the nitrogen cycle is, how to properly stock an aquarium, and that "beta" is incorrect.

So, about February 2005, I bought an Eclipse Hex 5 acrylic aquarium. My little "beta" got a huge upgrade on his home. He later died though because I thought he could live through the nitrogen cycle. I look at it as a huge learning experience. I guess it was about March or April 2005 I bought my thirty gallon (long) aquarium. I was so excited to get this baby because the largest aquarium that I had ever had was a mere five gallons. This aquarium has become my second child, and I have loved it since the day that I bought it. With this tank, I have learned much of the aquarium hobby. I don't think I will ever be able to sell it because I have become attached to it. I need to get some good pics of it so I can share it with everyone.

Last year, I had a total of fourteen aquariums. Ten of those were actually setup and being used, and the others were empty. I was breeding different fish, shrimp, and snail species. I was also growing different species of aquatic plants. Earlier this year (2007), I had to have a major down-sizing. I sold almost everything I had, but I couldn't list my thirty gallon for sale. My heart wouldn't let me do it. So, I kept it and most of everything that was in there. I was down from fourteen aquariums to one.

Now, I am up to nine aquariums. There will be no more for me until I have another down-sizing in the coming year. I really want a seventy-five gallon aquarium, and in order for me to do that, I need to down-size again. I will have no room for everything in my home. I'll probably keep a five gallon though for a betta (that's the correct term).

This was just a quick introduction to this blog. I will be adding snippets of things I have learned in such a short amount of time. I understand that I do not have as much experience as some fish keepers, but I know that I have learned a lot.

I do not consider myself an expert, because I believe there is no such thing--especially in this hobby. Things change quite a bit in this hobby. For example, the red cherry shrimp (RCS) are on their third scientific classification in about two years. In any case, no one has the capacity to know everything about anything.

The key to knowledge is to research on your own and to simply do it.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Just here reading your newest! Good job! Talk to you soon!